By Roanna Sanelli
Photo: Dion Fountas


The St Albans Saints have played out a four all draw against Melbourne Victory at Epping Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

After a resounding victory against Sunshine George Cross, Dinamo sought to further boost their NPL2 campaign.

Their opponents were also in excellent form and began the match with a high intensity which saw them take the early lead.

Nuh Sehavdic broke free of his markers and struck home after besting goalkeeper Robert Santilli in a one on one encounter.

It was an aggression fuelled clash with both sides having sporadic shots on goal.

Daniel Slovacek and Joseph Monek both had attempted to equalise, yet both were saved by the opposition keeper.

While the Saints were putting pressure on every ball, it was the Victory whom maintained possession utilized their pace on the flanks with Nicholas Sette and Yazid Said making precisely timed runs.

Indeed, their efforts paid dividends with a Sette and Said combining to add a second to the hosts’ lead.

The visitors slowly found their rhythm as a Matthew Cundari shot forced the keeper to make a leaping save.

Unlike the first term, the Saints found the early form in the second with midfielder Stefan Baricevic firing the ball into the opposition keeper.

His strike encouraged the visitors to surge forward with pace and it was Rodrigo Covarrubias whom got Dinamo on the score-sheet from a Michael Grgic throw in.

As the momentum and resolve strengthened for Dinamo, Melbourne Victory’s frustrations began to show and would lose possession in the centre of midfield.

Anthony Katiforis and Monek both had chances to level the proceedings, yet the shots missed the mark.

In a lucky break of play, the hosts managed to boost their lead with a strike from Birkan Kirdar travelling past the reach of Santilli.

Luck seemed to be fading for the Saints with Ben Shaper being replaced by Dominic Falla after sustaining a knee injury.

Yet, Cundari ensured the Saints would remain close behind the hosts with a goal which he drilled from the edge of the area.

As the pressure mounted on the Victory, they managed to once again gain the upper hand through Thierry Iradukunda after a one versus one against the Dinamo shot stopper.

Their fourth goal only further heightened the resolve of the Saints whom were no strangers to being in losing positions in matches.

Indeed, it was in the intense final minutes that the visitors levelled the proceedings.

Grgic’s diving header from a Cundari corner gave Dinamo a renewed hope while Covarrubias’ fumbled second goal sealed the draw for the Saints.

They will next square off against the North Geelong Warriors at Elcho Park on Saturday.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *