By Josip Hercog
Photo: Bulent Yontem

The St Albans Saints have succumb to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of a lucky Hume City on Saturday night at ABD Stadium.

It all started as an even affair in the first five minutes with both teams looking to grab a physical dominance with a few early challenges to set the pace of the game.

It didn’t take long for the controversy to begin with Rodrigo Covarrubias brought down in the 9th minute, just outside the box and denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity by Hume City’s goalkeeper Michael Weier.

After cries for a red card, Weier was only handed a yellow card. This was fortunate for the home side as the decision was largely debatable.

The resulting free kick was taken in the 12th minute, however Grgic blasted it straight into the wall.

A short nine minutes later, it was Hume’s James McGarry who squared the ball across the Dinamo defence to Jayden Prasad whose powerful first-time effort hit the back of the net.

The rest of the first half saw two great saves by Dinamo goalkeeper Aaron Romein, denying Liam Boland and Nick Hegarty’s efforts to double Hume’s lead.

Possession was even heading into the break with Dinamo at times controlling the tempo of the game, however not being able to create clear-cut opportunities in the final third.

Dinamo came out in the second half with an added spark, it was Covarrubias who was on the end of two clear-cut chances in the 48th and 53rd minute. This gave the travelling fans a positive feel about Kruni Razov’s side.

Unfotunately, a minute later it was Hume’s Daniel Clark who found himself on the end of a deep cross by himself to double Hume’s lead.

This didn’t stop Razov’s men who kept fighting. A Grgic shot in the 57th minute had Weier beat however was just wide of the goal and a short minute later it was a Joseph Monek 40m run which saw him brought down in the box and the penalty was given.

Captain Ryan McGuffie stepped up to take the penalty and did so successfully, a powerful shot to Weiers’ left side enabled the Hume goalkeeper to get a hand on it but wasn’t able to keep it out as he redirected it into the post and into the back of the net.

Dinamo kept fighting, Covarrubias attempted the spectacular in the 65th minute after a Matthew Cundari cross. The striker chested the ball and executed a bicycle kick which was just too high.

Nine minutes later it was Covarrubias and Hernan Espindola who made way for Caleb Mikulic and Daniel Slovacek, the addition of youth and pace was what Razov wanted to give his side the edge.

A few chances were created however nothing concrete, Daniel Chaabani was replaced by young Antonio Barbaro in the 83rd minute and despite Dinamo’s best efforts to get a late equaliser, it just wasn’t to be.

Dinamo now head back home as they host Heidelberg United at Churchill Reserve on Sunday afternoon.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *