By Roanna Sanelli
Photo: Dion Fountas

The St Albans Saints have drawn one all with Moreland City at Churchill Reserve on Sunday afternoon.

It was a decisive clash for the Saints against the NPL 2 East’s top ranked side and they entered the match with a renewed confidence following their victory over Altona Magic.

Forward Juso Julardzija retained his position in starting line-up following the success of the two-pronged attack with Rodrigo Covarrubias.

Joseph Monek also returned to the side following a brief injury.

Moreland City made an immediate impact using their speed and precision to dictate the play from the opening whistle.

Indeed, it wasn’t long before they opened the scoring when a lone Ratip Cileli found himself unmarked and directly in front of goal and was able to slot the cross home.

The minimal pressure placed by Dinamo on their opposition, afforded the visitors crucial time and space on the ball whom were also quick on their transition.

Goalkeeper Robert Santilli was forced to come to the rescue on several occasions as the clinical nature of the opposition prevented the hosts from making any real threats on goal.

Yet it was defender Marko Bagaric whom came close to equalising for the Saints when his header from a Julardzija free-kick travelled over the bar.

Midfielder Adrian Barresi also had a chance to level the proceedings, but his shot flashed wide of the face of the goals.

Despite a select few attempts on goal, Dinamo struggled to retain possession and their play lacked a somewhat creative element.

Moments prior to the half time whistle, the Saints were awarded a penalty following an unruly tackle in the box.

Indeed, it was Julardzija whom converted for the hosts and equalised.

The second term marked a changed Dinamo and it was Captain Michael Grgic whom led the charge as his sliding attempt narrowly missed a diving header.

There was a heightened attacking pressure from the Saints, but it was the visitors whom continued to play in a compact manner.

Despite a few sporadic shots from both sides, it was Dinamo whom had difficulty getting the ball into the final third and at times reverted to long balls.

The match concluded with neither team able to score the winning goal and hence the sides shared the points.

Dinamo will next clash against the Springvale White Eagles on Saturday afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *